Lifeguards are not babysitters!
Your safety is very important to us and while there are lifeguards on hand, we ask you to follow these steps to help ensure your safety in and around our aquatic areas.
Aquatic Supervision at SWIRL
At SWIRL our supervision policies are based upon the Guidelines for Safe Pool operations, produced by Royal Life Saving Australia.
Entry to SWIRL
- Children 5 years and under will not be permitted entry without an appropriate parent / guardian who is prepared to swim with the child
- Children under 15 years and under will not be permitted entry without an appropriate parent / guardian. Children 12-14 years may complete a supervised, unaided 25m swim and be registered to attend unsupervised.
- Groups / families will not be permitted entry where the number of Parent / Guardian's supervising a group of children under 10 years exceeds the ratio of 1:4. Where the children are under 5 years the ratio will not exceed 1:2
- Children under 15 years must be supervised by an adult while in the aquatic area of the facility
- Children 12 -14 years can complete a supervised unaided 25m swim and be registered to attend unsupervised. Children who are unable to complete the swim are encouraged to practice and try again at a later date, these children must still be supervised by an adult while in the aquatic area of the facility
- Children 5 years and under must be constantly supervised by an appropriate parent/guardian who is prepared to swim. Adequate supervision requires the parent/guardian to accompany the child in the water and remain within arm's reach of the child at all times
- Unsupervised children 5 years and under should be removed from the water and placed in a safe area until collected by their parent/guardian
- An unsupervised child of poor swimming ability regardless of age should be removed from the water by a staff member
- Children 5 years and under - Are you within arms' reach of them?
- Children 6-10 years - Where is your child/children in the facility? Are they in your line of sight?
- Children 11-14 years - Can you see your child/children? have they changed position since you last checked on them? are they being safe in the water?